Wednesday, November 9, 2011

NEWMAC Champions and Beyond

"Just because you deserve it doesnt mean they are going to give it to you, sometimes you have to take whats yours." -Coach Carter

Going in to the NEWMAC tournament emotions were high. We haven't won NEWMAC's since my freshman year and to start off as a NEWMAC champion and end as one is a fantastic feeling. We started off the tournament with MIT in a energetic 3-0 match. I have never had so much fun playing with that team, ever. We were all smiling and laughing so much for the entire match. It felt so at ease, and it kept our confidence high going in to the championship on Sunday.

I'm not sure it would of mattered who we were going to play in the championship, but I can say that we wanted to get some serious revenge against Wellesley. They were one of the two teams we lost to this season and it might of been the worst games of our lives when we lost to them. We wanted to prove to them and everyone else the type of team we really were. We also wanted to prove that we could live up to our hype and not choke in the finals. We did just that.

We started off winning the first two games of the match in an extremely competitive run. However, in typical Springfield fashion we hit a little bump in the road and let up the next two games to them. We got ourselves in a hole and it was hard to dig ourselves out, until the fifth game. Our team always says that we were made for fifth games. We practice fifth game scenarios everyday in practice and for us it felt like a piece of cake. The game was in our house, on our court, with our fans, and we wanted to claim that title more than anything. We played together in that fifth game and with relentless defense. We executed well and played Springfield College Volleyball which is the number one way that we will always win games.

The feeling I had on match point of that fifth game was indescribable. All the hard work and effort we put in this season paid off and we accomplished one of our many goals. I think I'm still living on cloud nine and to top it off we got some fantastic news Monday morning. We will be hosting the 2011 NCAA regional tournament in Blake Arena this weekend. We are also the number one seed going in to it. I couldn't ask for more. I get to continue my season with my team and the other seniors in our own gym, on our turf. There couldn't possibly be a better scenario then this and I could not be more proud of our team for getting us here. NCAA's here we come!!!!

I LOVE THIS TEAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment